Search

Do YOU Know Which Human Foods Are Toxic to Dogs?

Updated: Nov 18, 2020



Michelle Keegan recently shared an Instagram story about her gorgeous dog, Phoebe, who had eaten a flapjack filled with raisins.


Fortunately, Michelle knew that raisins are hugely toxic to dogs and rushed her straight to the vets, where they gave her a vomit-inducing injection.


Did you know that raisins are potentially life-threatening to dogs? They're not the only human food that may cost you a huge vet bill - or, worse, a very poorly dog.


Here's a list of all the dogs you should NEVER give to your dog:


Chocolate


Chocolate is one most of us know about. It's really toxic to dogs and should never be given to them. It contains something called theobromine; dark chocolate has the most and is therefore most dangerous. Some pet brands have created dog-safe chocolate.


Avocados


Avocados contain persin which can be found in the leaf, fruit and seed of the plant. Persin can cause diarrhoea and vomiting in dogs, so keep them well away. Also don't give your dog the stone from the avocado.


Onions, Garlic and Chives


The onions family is a no-go for dogs, regardless of whether it's raw or cooked. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage in dogs. Symptoms are usually seen a few days afterwards (when damage has already been done).


Nuts


Some nuts are worse than others; macadamia nuts, in particular, contain a toxin that can damage your dog’s muscles and nervous system. Symptoms include weakness, swollen limbs and panting.


Xylitol


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that can be found in chewing gum, mints, peanut butter - the list goes on. While humans are capable of digesting it, dogs definitely are not - there are even stories in the news about dogs dying from it. If you give your dog peanut butter as a treat, make sure it is safe!


Alcohol


Bit obvious - don't give your dog alcohol, or foods with alcohol in. It can affect dogs even in small doses.


Grapes & Raisins


Michelle Keegan knew that raisins were toxic to dogs, and she's right - as are grapes. While the active ingredient which causes the toxin is unknown, both grapes and raisins can cause liver and kidney damage.


Raisins can be found in many cakes and sweet treats (in Keegan's case, it was a flapjack), so be sure to keep these items out of the reach of your dog.


If your dog eats one of the above items, you must call a vet immediately, even if your dog is not yet showing any symptoms. Some of these toxins are slow-acting and may not show until a few days later. Have a local emergency vet on speed-dial in case you ever need it.


Got any questions about dogs, training or behaviour? Get in contact by using this form.


11 views0 comments

© 2020 by Barking Mad Training

  • White Instagram Icon

Follow us!

Instagram: @barkingmadtraining

Twitter: @Barking_MadUK

Get in contact: info@barkingmadtraining.com